Risk & Underwriting Manager
We're always on the lookout for talented, dedicated, passionate professionals who will thrive in our fast-paced, exciting and international environment. If you enjoy being a part of a team, yet know how to shine on your own, if you are inspired by the thought of helping to provide a NextGen service used by leading online businesses worldwide — you'll fit right in.
The Risk and Underwriting Manager will report to the Head of Risk Operations and manage both risk operations and an underwriting function, currently made up of four individuals. The role, specialising in risk and underwriting, will form part of the operational leadership team bringing all functions of the wider team together and influence decisions that are taken within the team involving risk and on-boarding. The current leadership team is made up of another Risk Manager, an AML Team Leader and Fraud Team Leader.
The role requirements (and general team responsibilities) include, but are not limited to:
- Day-to-day operations of onboarding, ensuring that the company reviews and assesses merchant and partner applications in line with the Company’s Customer acceptance Policy and Procedures and ensuring we are adequately secured from a Credit risk perspective;
- Manage and take ownership of day to day risk and underwriting escalations from the team, including reviewing of collateral terms in line with the approval guidelines
- Ensure we are compliant with all third-party authorities which provide us licenses to carry out our business. These would include Visa, MasterCard and the MFSA.
- Ensuring the company acts in accordance with current EU and local AML legislation, namely the Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit's (FIAU) Implementing Procedures, PMLFTR and the PMLA.
- Monitor, audit and ensure all officers are following the correct processes and procedures.
- Ensuring that service-level agreements (SLA) are met;
- Identify process improvement opportunities to improve overall efficiency and ensure a consistent customer experience.
- Understand and manage the costs associated within the onboarding process, including vendor costs and spend on company documents.
- Prepare reports on credit risk for senior management, internal committees and the board.
- Be knowledgeable in MATCH, VMAS and Scheme compliance, chargeback and fraud programs
- Work closely with the fraud team to identify problematic merchants that need to be closely monitored.
- Support the checking and Approving payments within our Core Banking System
- Escalate with the company’s governance structure, as appropriate, any identified GAPs, deficiencies, or requirements to ensure compliance with internal and regulatory requirements and policies.
- Flexibility and commitment outside of an 8 till 5 working period.
- Managing Risk and underwriting process/training presentations when required during internal trainings, customer trainings/ reviews or audits.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, or related discipline. MBA a plus.
- OR 3-4 years of commercial lending, credit, or underwriting experience
- Solid credit fundamentals in a commercial environment. Formal credit training a plus.
- Ability to read, analyse, and interpret business financial statements
- Strong analytical and intuitive investigative skills
- Ability to manipulate and analyse data with the use of excel.
- Card Acquiring background highly advantageous
- Strong independent decision-making capabilities
- Ability to multiple task and prioritize workflows in a demanding and fast paced environment
- Experience with managing individuals
- Must be detailed oriented
- Fluency in English